Wednesday, July 9, 2008

storytelling

Storytelling.

There is storytelling in every part of life. Lives will someday be a story to our children, to the next generation, or even to ourselves. But today the topic is going to be music. I recently shared with my friend a video on youtube of Yo-Yo Ma with Bobby McFerrin.

Wow.

Yes - wow!

Around 3-4 years ago, I stumbled onto a piece of classical music... CLASSICAL you say? Yes Klasik Musik.. which upon hearing I was rather awed. I have no idea who this person is and unlike what you think I'm not one to be deliberately looking for classical music to kill time. But I knew this guy is different. There's power and feeling in his music. Yes, it is Yo Yo Ma's performance. (Ma Yo Yo my friend told me in Chinese.)

Recently I have been looking for destiny in life. What is it? And I started typing his name on youtube which brought me to the video of Yo Yo Ma and Bobby.
To make it short, I would like to quote what Yo Yo Ma said in that video:

"the most important thing about performing
is to make magic - to make a special moment in time
the whole process to me is never about proving
but its about sharing something"

It's a concept. It's a way of thinking - a very humble one coming from someone of such prestige. There are too many things to talk about just on that sentence. But life in its own lifespan is also a performance. You cannot take back a performance. You cannot undo a performance.

Day by day we write our own stories - some darker, some brighter. At the end we are all learning the art of storytelling. I wonder who will we tell it to

No comments:

Post a Comment